- Despite anything to the contrary (usually following a concession. )
- usage: "although I'm a little afraid, however I'd like to try it"; "while we disliked each other, nevertheless we agreed"; "he was a stern yet fair master"; "granted that it is dangerous, all the same I still want to go"
- By contrast; on the other hand.
- usage: "the first part was easy; the second, however, took hours"
- To whatever degree or extent.
- usage: "The results, however general, are important"; "they have begun, however reluctantly, to acknowledge the legitimacy of some of the opposition's concerns"
- In whatever way or manner.
- usage: "Victory, however it was brought about, was sweet"; "however he did it, it was very clever"
by WordNet 3.0 © 2006 by Princeton University